Duration 5 Days
This Level 1 course is an introductory course for those Health and Safety Representatives (HSRs) who have not received any prior training and should be undertaken in the first year of their 3 year term of office. Health and Safety Representatives (HSRs) and Deputy Health and Safety Representatives (DHSRs) are entitled to attend this course of training which is approved by the SafeWork SA Advisory Committee. Without this course a HSR or DHSR cannot issue a Provisional Improvement Notice (PIN).
The course aims to:-
- Help the HSR consult with the person conducting a business or undertaking (PCBU) on behalf of the work group about compliance with the requirements of the Act.
- Learners will gain knowledge and understanding of the roles, duties and responsibilities for workplace health and safety under the Act.
- Ensure learners gain an appreciation of the importance of appropriate worker and PCBU attitudes to work health & safety by exploring workplace culture will be explored.
- Ensure HSRs and DHSRs are familiar with the risk management process.
- Give participants the skills to make a case for positive workplace change to senior management.
The training is delivered face-to-face in a classroom based learning environment. The duration of training is over a 5 day period, each day from 9am - 4.30pm.
The training may be scheduled over 5 consecutive days or a block of 3 days in one week and 2 days in another.
For in-house/group bookings the course can be delivered at a client's premises.
- Introduction to work, health & safety
- Work Health and safety legislation duties and roles
- Using the WHS Regulations
- Perform the functions and exercise the powers of a health and safety representative
- Risk management
- Incident Investigation
- Role of health and safety committees
- Consultation and conflict resolution
- Research, prepare and present a case on an work health safety issue
Health and Safety Representatives (HSRs) play a pivotal role in keeping South Australian workplaces safe. By representing workers in their work group, HSRs provide a means for workers to raise safety issues within their workplace, and follow a process with employers to resolve them.
$990 (inc GST)
- continuous coffee, tea and morning tea are provided at sessions
- course learning materials
- certification upon successful completion
- there are many quality food vendors within 1-2 min walk for you to purchase your lunch, or you are welcome to bring your own lunch if you wish
Please contact the Workplace Consultation Program (SafeWork SA) on 1300 365 255 to determine if you are eligible for any subsidies.
Adelaide - 5, 6, 7, 22 & 23 February 2018 - COURSE IS FULLY BOOKED!
Adelaide - 7, 8, 9 20 & 21 March 2018
Please note: all sessions are from 9:00am - 4:30pm
Training Venue for Adelaide based courses:
ASC Training & Development
Level 2, 5 Leigh Street
ADELAIDE SA 5000
"Table discussion of answers was invaluable."
Felt comfortable, liked the 3 days then the 2 days. Length of the course was great. Table discussion of answers was invaluable. Great location, nice morning tea, easy public transport.
Relaxed environment, nice food. Great facilitator, he was a great presenter, gave us positive feedback, guided us in correct direction, non-judgemental.
"Sessions were interesting"
Sessions were interesting, motivative, great content, humour great.
" I look forward to doing the course (HSRs, HSR3) in the future. "
It was interesting to hear albeit concerning that the work environment/climate currently is seeing more issues related to stress, anxient, depression and bullying. I look forward to doing the course (HSRs, HSR3) in the future.
Anastasia Kate Potiris
"Now I am very much interested in my role as a deputy HSR."
I got a good knowledge of what WHS is and as a representative what I can do. Now I am very much interested in my role as a deputy HSR.
"Thanks Ruth, you provided an exceptional service and information."
The lecture made the session enjoyable, even if it was safety. Thanks Ruth, you provided an exceptional service and information.
Good Mix of listening and doing exercises as a group. Very enjoyable, wasn't sure at all what course was going to be about. Would like to continue the courses next year.
"Ruth was very good and knowledgable."
Everybody in the course was very friendly and Ruth was very good and knowledgable.
Great course, good mix and use of exercises and activities.
"Good pace, good people, good presenter."
Good pace, good people, good presenter. Grace knowledgable, relaxed informative teaching style.
"The facilitator was amazing."
I went into the course assuming that the content would be dry, boring and tedious, but the facilitator had a way of making it interesting, flow and understandable. She was able to relate a lot of the legislation to real life experiences, focused on key areas where people struggled to understand, was patient and very clear in her approach. I would highly recommend her to anyone I hear of wanting to do the course.
"Ruth was fantastic.."
...the best trainer I have know. Thank you.
"Her Knowledge was astounding"
"Ruth (the facilitator) put us all at ease throughout each session. Her knowledge was astounding; she kept us interested by participating in group activities."
"I loved being part of the course and look forward to taking HSR Level 2"
Ruth's wide knowledge and experience provided plenty of anecdotes and kept the course interesting.